May has been a busy month for the 2013/14 Council of Alberta University Students. CAUS met in Canmore to elect a new Chair and Vice-Chair, as well as set their priorities for the year. Conner Brown, a fourth year Political Science student at the University of Calgary, as well as the Vice-President External for their Students’ Union, will serve as chair for the organization. He will be joined by Adam Woods the Vice President External at the University of Alberta, who will serve as Vice-Chair.
CAUS along with the Students’ Unions from the U of A, U of C, and U of L will be advocating on behalf of the five identified priorities:
- Mandatory Non-Instructional Fee Regulation
- Reestablishing Student Work Programs
- Non-Repayable Student Financial Aid – In the form of rural and aboriginal bursaries
- Opening up the Post Secondary Learning Act – Ensure that proposed changes benefit students
- Tuition – Stable, Predictable, and Accessible.