This week the 2012/13 Council of Alberta University Students met to elect a new chair and vice-chair as well as set their priorities for the year. Raphael Jacob, a fourth year Political Science student who is also the Vice President External at the University of Calgary Students’ Union will serve as chair, joined by Petros Kusmu, the Vice President External at the University of Alberta.
Together along with the presidents and vice presidents from Students’ Unions from the U of A, U of C, and U of L will be working hard on the five identified priorities:
- Stopping future tuition market modifiers
- Regulating mandatory non-instructional fees
- Making changes to the Elections Act for post-secondary students
- Creating a new rural bursary that will improve the PSE participation rate
- Eliminating municipal property taxes on residences for deferred maintenance funding